Divorce is never easy, but the process is made more complicated when the parties involved do certain things.
Emotions often run high. In the heat of the moment, people sometimes say things that they wish they could take back. Under the stress people sometimes do things that they never dreamt they could do. Even the most levelheaded, dignified people need a small reminder sometimes.
Here are ten things not to do during your divorce.
- Don't air your dirty laundry online
- Don't lose your cool at your spouse
- Don't put your children in the middle of fights between you and your ex
- Don't disobey any court orders
- Don't hide your assets in any way, either directly by giving money to friends or indirectly by asking your work to wait until after your divorce is finalized to give you a raise
- Don't lie to your lawyer
- Don't show up in court dressed like you are going to the beach
- Don't get engaged until after your divorce is finalized
- Don't try to divorce without a lawyer on your side
- Don't forget that your divorce will be over soon and that you will soon be able to build your new life
These tips might sound obvious, and they might sound like things that you would never do under normal circumstances. Maybe you won't do them. Maybe you might just feel like doing them, and will ultimately take the high road and avoid yourself a lot of trouble.
If you have any questions about what to do and what not to do during the divorce process, make sure to speak to an experienced family law attorney.